Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Cook up a quick, fun dish with these Mega Mushroom and Bacon Burgers that combine all the best flavours of breakfast with streaky bacon and juicy mushrooms in a toasty crunchy ciabatta roll.
- 4 large portobello or large field mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 crusty ciabatta rolls
- ½ a lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices of streaky bacon
- Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and season, then cook over hot barbecue coals or a griddle pan for 8-10 mins turning once until browned on both sides and tender when tested with a fork. Transfer to a plate, gill side down and leave for 5 mins.
- Grill or fry the streaky bacon slices with a little oil until crispy and brown.
- Toast the ciabatta rolls on the hot barbecue coals or under the grill.
- Fill the rolls with lettuce, tomato and top with the mushrooms and bacon.
- Finish off with a dollop of BBQ sauce, ketchup or mustard to suit your taste.