Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Delicious concoction of family favourites including pasta, mushrooms, bacon, peas and a super creamy sauce that can be cooked up in no time, perfect for a quick weekday meal in any household.
For the curry
- 300g closed-cup mushrooms
- 500g bag fusilli pasta
- 150g fresh or frozen peas
- 200g bacon, chopped
For the white sauce
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta and peas according to pack instructions and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Fry the mushrooms with a knob of butter for 2 minutes and spoon onto a plate. Fry the chopped bacon for a further 4 minutes and leave to one side.
- Melt remaining butter in the saucepan, stir in the flour and gradually add milk. Increase heat and bubble the sauce until thickens. Stir in most of the cheese. Alternatively, to save time, use a 600ml jar of basic cheese sauce.
- Tip the pasta, mushrooms and bacon into a large ovenproof dish. Pour over the sauce and mix with peas. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.