Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Start your day with these scrumptious Breakfast Portabellos. Packed with nutrients and served with bacon, eggs and tomatoes, this filling breakfast will give you much needed energy to begin your day.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- 2 thick slices bread, cut into cubes
- 4 rashers smoky back bacon, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives or parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the bread cubes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and cook until crispy, then remove from the pan. Cook the mushrooms gently in the bacon fat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- At the same time, poach the eggs in gently simmering water for 3-4 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are runny.
- Place the mushrooms onto 4 warm serving plates, gills facing up. At this point, add the tomatoes and chives or parsley to the frying pan and cook over a high heat for 30-40 seconds. Return the bacon to the frying pan and heat with the tomatoes for a few more seconds. Season with black pepper, then share between the mushrooms and add the croutons.
- Add the peas and spinach. Stir well and cook gently for 4 to 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilting, and the peas have cooked.
- Serve each mushroom with a poached egg on top, sprinkled with a little extra black pepper.