Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Taking only 10 minutes to rustle up, this is a simple and flavourful summer salad loaded with nutrients and filled with chestnut mushrooms, eggs, bacon and lot and lots of salad leaves!
For the salad
- 200g chestnut or closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 8 rashers back bacon
- 1 bag rocket or mixed salad leaves
- 1 Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tbsp croutons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hard-boil the eggs for 8-10 minutes, then plunge them into cold water to cool them.
- While the eggs are cooling, grill the bacon rashers until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix together the rocket or salad leaves and Romaine lettuce and arrange on 4 large serving plates with the mushrooms and tomatoes. Shell the eggs and quarter them, then share between the plates.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar and wholegrain mustard. Season.
- Sprinkle the dressing over the salads, then snip the bacon rashers over the top. Add the croutons, then serve.